Monday, April 18, 2011

High Point Furniture Market

I'm a bit behind on posting, I am sure you have noticed! Being sick and running around like a crazy person is my only excuse. Lots of material to make posts with though, so now I have to get to it:

The other weekend (same as Triad Pottery Festival) I also had the opportunity to do a demonstration at the High Point Furniture Market in downtown High Point, North Carolina. I took a few crocks that were greenware and put handles, stamps, and cobalt decoration on them. It was great to have a finished crock sitting nearby while working on the others.
My demonstration station with completed crocks
Some of my pottery was also on display in the Linwood Furniture galleries. It was great to see my pottery in situ and on some really nice pieces of furniture! Everything looked so at home!




Numerous pieces of artwork displayed in the galleries were made by artists who have work on display at the North Carolina Arts Incubator in Siler City. Ricky Lindley had several of his pieces on display, and also came to do some painting in the gallery:

Apparently, one of the most interesting results of the Furniture Market was to find that people are becoming increasingly interested in buying domestically-made furniture. I spoke with a few people who noticed this at the market, saw that a lot of signs in the galleries made note of "Made in America," and the link above is for an article which recognized the same thing.
Here are some more photos of my pottery hiding among the furniture displays:


No comments: