Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mad Potter of Liberty

George Ohr, the Mad Potter of Biloxi. Courtesy, http://northernwebdesign.com/gohr1/artist.htm
As a nod to the Mad Potter of Biloxi, George Ohr, I have been feeling a little mad myself throwing two or three kilns worth of pots in about two weeks! Medium-sized kiln, mind you, but for someone (me) who does not make pottery full-time, it's been a bear! I am getting ready for the Randolph County Arts Guild's Fall Festival, dropping pottery off to Bramble Ridge Orchard, and pots to sell at Bramble Ridge's Apple Butter Festival on October 8th. This should explain my negligence of this blog, and I apologize.
Here's a sneak peak of what I have been up to.
Here is about one week's worth of throwing all glazed up and ready to go:
Table full 'o' bisque ware!


Bisque ware awaiting transport. Check out the new slip color!
And here are those pots loaded into the kiln just today for firing tomorrow. I got everything on those tables into the kiln except for three of the bigger pieces!
First kiln all loaded up
Here are the newer pieces I have made over the last week which will be put into the bisque kilns this coming week:

Lots of twist-handle pitchers!

I am excited about the lidded pitchers. I think they will be perfect for lemonade or sweet tea!


Decorated mugs

New stemless wine cups

I have been trying to make more compost crocks and have decided to stick with these two designs:

Compost crocks!
I'm testing out a new cobalt slip, so my slip when it is just put on looks purple, and if you noticed in the pieces which have been bisqued, it is REALLY blue! I also have put some red slip onto a piece which will be fired in about a week and a half:

Cobalt slip (purple color) with red slip floral decoration
I should unload the first kiln by Friday, so I will let you know how the results turn out!

No comments: