Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sneak Peek


We started unloading the kiln on Friday, unveiling a great load of beautiful pots!
I was very excited to see the side of this dish from one of the side stoke holes, it looks like the cobalt blues may turn out well!
The clay body appears pretty dark where there is no slip or glaze. Some of my cobalt experiments may not have fared well without the white ground beneath them. I will see tomorrow.
Ash glazed and slip decorated vase

Small lidded jar with red slip, heavy salt and ash
There will be a lot of cleaning pots in the coming week, with a great show starting next weekend! Be sure to come out to Joseph Sand Pottery to see the beauties next weekend, the 5-6, or the following weekend, the 12-13!

We're working on the kiln shed again today and I am cleaning up the brick I got last year that were salvaged. There's a potential we're going to start working on the kiln in the next few weeks! Very exciting!

2 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Sounds like you're keeping busy.I like the cobalt on the darker clay. It has a little more rustic look to it.

Liberty Stoneware said...

I'll find out what happened today, but in the past the cobalt on the dark body by itself has been washed out between the iron on the body and the heavy salt. I'm testing to see whether the white ground makes the blue more visible and a bit of a buffer between the clay body and the salt application. We'll see!