Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gone Digging!

Sherds surface collected in the Edgefield, South Carolina area
I will be taking a break from blogging this coming week. I will be in Edgefield, South Carolina for the next week at an archaeological excavation of an 19th-century kiln! I will likely be sifting dirt mostly, but I'll be happy! This is the first full-scale excavation of a kiln in the Pottersville area of Edgefield, very exciting. I'm also excited to see sherds and kiln materials from an alkaline glaze kiln as I have thus far seen mostly salt-glazed kiln materials. I'll try to be on top of things and get photos posted when I get back! In the meantime, here are a few intact pieces which show the kind of pottery excavated in the area.

Alkaline glazed jug
Alkaline glazed storage crock with four lug handles-- I love that decoration!

1 comment:

Dennis Allen said...

Fabulous jugs.The dig sounds really exciting! have fun and share lots of pictures when you get back.