Sunday, November 13, 2011

Kiln Shift

O' Dark Thirty this morning with the kiln firing
I worked a kiln shift at Joseph Sand's anagama kiln this morning starting at 5:00 am. It was a rewarding, exhausting day!

Salting the kiln
It was a warm morning standing in front of the kiln. I was the person stoking at the front of the kiln. When I got to the kiln a little before 5:00, Joseph had the kiln rolling around 2400, with stoking around 2380. We held the temperature through mid-morning when we salted around 10:30 or 11:00.



Joseph pulled one of my mugs out of the kiln to check the salt and glazes. I think it looks pretty good! I'm excited to see what the rest of the kiln looks like! And the photos below are shots of the interior of the kiln while it was crash cooling.
You can see the edges of my dishes at the side of the shelves

Peeks of the tops of pitchers

Sides of the dishes

Joseph's pots

No comments: