Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pots from the Kiln

I thought I would share a few photos of some of the pieces from the kiln. The color of the clay body turned out well, a little more buff brown than the gray of the draw trials, but hopefully I will figure that out.
Some of the pieces had great ash coverage from the two consecutive kiln firings without unloading and a build up of ash. I did have a few mugs and small dishes coated in ash that didn't melt though and that was a little disheartening.
"Crock pot"
The only major piece of sculpture was the above piece where a flower pot and a pickling crock fused together at their bases. We're calling it the "crock pot" and might plant some flowers in it and put it on the front porch.
Here are a few more pieces:
Compost crock with white slip trailed design

Mug with blue and white design

2 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

The mugs look really nice buff or grey doesn't matter. I've had a few "Crock Pots" myself.It's always something.

Liberty Stoneware said...

It is always something. I thought you would get a kick out of this - someone yesterday came up and asked me if I practiced psycho ceramics, when I looked at him quizzically he said, "they're usually called crack pots"