Perhaps it was the anticipation of a tasty snack after the kiln, or perhaps the excitement of trying something different. Either way, following the kiln firing today I took some biscuits I made with sausage patties I cooked last night and slices of cheese, wrapped them in aluminum foil, and baked them in the firing ports of the kiln.
"How long do you bake a biscuit at 2000 degrees?" you might ask, well, not very long, and you should really flip it not just rotate it because the bottom gets a little too toasty.
I finished loading the kiln on Saturday, and we started it Saturday evening at around 7:00 pm. We wanted to try a different firing schedule. I also modified the exit flue in the back of the chimney by putting a row of bricks down the center to cut down on the airflow. I think this helped in the case of wood consumption and temperature climbing, but may have added to the increased reduction that I saw in comparison to the last firing.
We very professionally kept track of the temperatures by marking up a piece of wood with the temperature climbing. What fascinates me is that I could have had the kiln to temperature and probably salting by 8-9:00 in the morning, but because I was alone at the time and not expecting others to arrive for a while, I had to maintain and stall the climb. So it was nice to know that I can get the kiln rolling and possibly finished in under 15 hours, and that is with single firing. Here are some peeks into the kiln during the crash cool: