Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Good Salting

Salty mug!
My most recentkiln firing yielded good results and a good salting. I was pleased with most of the pieces.

Here is what the kiln looked like when I loaded it:

And here is what it looked like after it was fired:

Most of the other firings I have done with this kiln have resulted in the bottom half of the kiln being drenched in salt and the top being dry. This time, I closed the damper when I salted and allowed the salt to fume within the chamber. It made a huge difference!

New flowerpots!

Good salting for the crocks

Decent results with the cobalt. Need to make a new slip.

And although the weather was not fantastic, I did go out this past Saturday while Hurricane Irene was blasting the coast and participate in the Preserving Our Heritage Day at Cedarock Park. Even with the iffy weather, there was a decent turnout of participants, musicians, and attendees! I had fun doing a little demonstrating and talking about pottery manufacturing.
Demonstrating pottery at Cedarock Park

No comments: