Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Old Salem Pottery Fair on the Square

This past Saturday was a great day at Old Salem in Winston-Salem for their first Pottery Fair on the Square.


It was so good to visit with the potters, meet new people, and see some of the curators and staff members from the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts. George Washington was visiting Salem in the 1791 Moravian world surrounding our little square of potters. He did not actually come over to see any of the potters, but we got a glimpse of him a few times. I told a customer that he would likely not have a lot of interest in my pottery as he rather liked Chinese porcelain, although he may have been supportive of the domestic production of ceramics.
It was sunny, and the weather was great until about 1:00 when it started to get pretty warm. I broke down and bought an iced drink and a popcorn from the food vendors next to me. I had resisted the smell of the popcorn all day until the afternoon!

My other half took a break and I was envious of him while he napped
Rumor has it that there will be another sale next year!

No comments: